Butternut Squash Stew with Chicken and Wild Rice

Christmas is coming!  Yay! This week, the goal of my menu plan is to be light and cheap.  I've got a whoooolllleee lot of cookies to bake and our family does a big meal on Christmas Eve, so I want to save most of our grocery budget for that.  This yummy butternut squash stew fits both of my goals perfectly.

Squash of any variety is okay with me.  I am sure I consume more squash than the average person.  But, then again, I'm not sure they have statistics on that sort of thing.  Anyway.  This soup is delicious.  I have gone through a few different recipes trying to perfect this bad boy . . . and I think this is the one.  My true love.

Butternut squash can be intimidating.  It's got a rock hard exterior that even a super sharp knife will struggle to get through.  Don't let this freak you out.  I've got your back. I find the easiest way to prepare butternut squash is to use a fork to poke a few holes into the squash, put it on a plate and microwave it for 8-10 minutes.  I then cut the squash in half, lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and put it flesh side down into a 9x13 pan with about 2/3 cup of water in it.  Cover the pan with tin foil and cook in the oven at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes.  Then all you have to do is cube it up!  Super yummy!




You will need:

1 1/2 lb Butternut squash, cooked and cubed (see above for preparation tip!)
4 cups chicken broth
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 large chicken breast, diced
1 1/2 cups wild rice, cooked (I've also used brown rice or quinoa)
1 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs chopped garlic
1 Tbs dried parsley
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder (optional)


In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add in diced chicken breast and garlic.  Cook until chicken is mostly white.  Pour in chicken broth, diced tomatoes, parsley, oregano, salt, pepper, and onion powder.  Simmer for 30 minutes.  Remove from heat and add in the cooked wild rice and butternut squash pieces.  Stir to combine.  Enjoy!


Post a Comment