#weightlossgoals

I love New Year's Resolutions.  I think I may have mentioned that before (click) ;).  I'm definitely pro goal setting.  But, that being said, I have had some thoughts on my mind that I wanted to share regarding "weight loss" goals.  

As I scroll through Instagram, I see so many beautiful women wanting to change themselves.  I talk to people in my daily life who are trying to lose the "baby weight" or the "holiday weight" or the "Freshman 15" or are trying to get "ready for summer" or whatever. The topic of weight loss is one that is navigated almost daily. 

I am someone who has struggled with body image for most of my life.  I am someone who worries about being thin enough or pretty enough.  I am someone who has obsessed over something as trivial as my arm circumference or my pant size.  While some of these thoughts are normal, or tied to other issues/personal experiences, I think a lot of this mentality stems from the message proclaimed through social media, weight loss ads, and magazines that "if I just lose 10 pounds I'll be happier".  

 Why?  Why do we care so much?  How does it make sense that the number on our scale should dictate whether we deserve nourishment or self love?  I am certainly not saying losing weight is a bad goal if it is something that will help you to become healthier, but some of the time I feel like the issue has less to do with actual weight and more to do with chasing an unrealistic image.

The message that we need to lose weight to feel better or look better or be better is a message that is very loud.  The message of self acceptance is a quiet one that deserves a voice.  It deserves your voice.

As you make your New Year's Resolutions this year, remember that your body has purpose just the way it is.  You are more than your body.  You are your kind words.  You are your helping hands.  You are your tender heart.  Coming from someone who spent years of her life restricting and then binging and stressing about every. single. ounce. of food I ate, you don't deserve that life.  That behavior is damaging to your spirit and will leave you feeling empty--on top of all the damage it may cause your physical health.

When setting weight loss goals aim for feeding your body in ways that will make you feel good about yourself.  Eat whole foods that nourish your brain and will fuel you to care for yourself and those around you.  Instead of cutting out food groups, incorporate more fruits and veggies and whole grains and protein and nuts and healthy fats.  And then you know what?  Have a friggin piece of chocolate!  Because aside from being fuel, food is fun!  You deserve to taste something delicious.  

One of my ongoing goals in life to to feel more comfortable in my body.  And I know that that comfort level increases as I take care of myself in healthy ways and appreciate myself for the things that I am instead of criticizing the heck out of my measurements. When I am comfortable with myself I am always more willing to say "yes" to help a friend  or to play at the park with my little one.  Self confidence is an on-going process.  And you know what?  It has almost nothing to do with my weight.


What are your thoughts? What do you think a "healthy" New Year's Resolution looks like?  I love hearing your thoughts, so let's talk about it!






2 comments

  1. you are such a great writer, I love when you write new posts! this one is so good and so true. amen, amen, amen!! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chels I love reading ur blog. This one hits home with me. Just like u I have always had body image issues. I think it runs in the Bryant blood, lol. I have never been comfortable with my body and over the past several years I have been trying to love myself and my body. It is a tough work in progress, but at least I am trying. I love you so much❤️️❤️️❤️️

    ReplyDelete