5 Tips for an AMAZING Day

I remember the months following the birth of my son being beautiful.  And tiring.  And magical.  And hard.  Really hard.  I am someone who relies heavily on a schedule.  Even a loose schedule.  Turns out, my baby felt the same way.  Only, his schedule was "nurse 190 times, sleep a little bit, and then be gently bounced for the rest of the day." The newborn months, while filled with special moments, were exhausting.

I felt myself falling apart.  While I felt this immense sense of worth from "becoming a mother" I also felt like I wasn't properly caring for myself.  There were definitely other non-baby-related factors involved, but I sank into a depression that I hadn't known before.  I didn't know how to function.

After a lot of trial and error, advice sessions from friends and family, and prayer, I developed a plan for my days that left me feeling like a person again.  The past year especially I have found a rhythm that really works for me.I have good days, and I have amazing days.  And,  occasionally, I have bad days.  But, I have a system that really helps make the bad days manageable and the good days consistent.

I thought I would share what works for me in case you are finding yourself in a similar situation.  So, without any more divulging of secrets, here are my Top 5 Tips for an AMAZING Day:

1. Set goals the night before
Before I go to bed at night, I like to make a rough outline of what I want to accomplish the next day.  Some days it is kind of vague, but if I am having a hard time emotionally I will write down every. single. thing. I want to accomplish.  I get incredibly specific. For example, I would write down "take a shower", "drink xx oz of water", "make bed", "eat breakfast", "clean up kitchen", etc.

I do this for a few different reasons.  A- it keeps me on track for the day and keeps my mind occupied, and B- it feels sooooo good to me to check something off my list.  A small task is an easy check off, and if I'm having a hard day I can use all the check off's I can get.  As the day progresses, and more items are checked off my list I feel really good about myself and I have tangible evidence of the things I've done so I don't beat myself up later.

2. Meal Prep
When I eat healthful foods, I always feel better about myself.  It's so much easier to eat healthy when I have convenient options around my house.  I'm not hardcore into meal prepping, but I do a few things to make the days a little easier.  For instance, every 1-2 weeks I bake up a big batch of chicken breasts, dice them up, and separate them into freezer bags. This makes making dinner a breeze.  If I'm really on the ball I meal prep breakfasts for our family a week in advance.  Sometimes it's yummy oatmeal in mason jars. Other times it is breakfast burritos, breakfast bowls, or egg cups.  Knowing I have something delicious waiting for me in the fridge is always a good incentive to get out of bed.

3.  Schedule "breaks" for yourself

My little boy is out of the napping stage, but I think it is important for both of us to have down time during the day.  We usually take a break after lunch.  Ezra can choose a box of toys to play with or a show to watch, but for at least 30 minutes he has to independently play or rest.  Knowing that I have this break to do whatever I want helps me get through a busy day.  If I'm having a rougher day, we take a few breaks during the day.  I try not to feel bad about it, because you know what?  When I am in a good place emotionally, I am a better mother.  I do my best parenting when I am feeling good, so feeling good is one of my biggest priorities!

4.  Go for a walk

If I am feeling anxious, overwhelmed, grumpy, or depressed the quickest fix is a walk.  I try and go on a 30 minute walk everyday.  The days when this happens are always better.  I am blessed to live in a climate where this goal is attainable almost year round, but on days when it's not I have gone to indoor tracks or even danced around my living room.  Once I start moving, it easier to keep the momentum of productivity going throughout my day!

5.  Do something "fun" everyday
Some nights I can anticipate that I'm going to have a rough day.  I have found that if I schedule something fun with a friend, or plan something for myself and my little boy I can usually stop a bad day in it's tracks.  Some days my "fun" thing is going to the gas station with Ez for a fountain drink or taking a few laps around Target.  Other days we go to the Children's Museum or the park.  It doesn't have to be anything fancy to be fun.  Identify something that will boost your spirits, and do it!

So there you have it!  This is basically my formula for a good day!  What do you do to help yourself have an amazing day?

1 comment